Skip to main content
01482 398521

HFR Solutions CIC have made 13,037 People Safer

Factory Fined Following Death Of Worker

The worker fell through a skylight seven metres up in the air.

The worker fell through a skylight seven metres up in the air | If you work in the renewables & wind energy sector - you will need to undertake the GWO Working at Height training course

A Somerset-based factory has been fined after one of its workers died back in May 2013 when he fell through a skylight onto a concrete floor seven metres below.

The maintenance worker in question did have permission to go up on the roofs to carry out various tasks. However, a Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation found that he did so on a regular basis without sufficient safety measures being put in place.

It was found that the company in question had failed to assess the risks to maintenance workers when working on roofs. A generic risk assessment had been carried out, but this failed to identify the risks and control measures required when people are working at height.

“Falls from height continue to account for a significant proportion of all workplace deaths and serious injuries. Falls through fragile roofs and skylights sadly happen all too often. Businesses should ensure that all roof work including routine maintenance is properly planned and carried out safely,” annette Walker, HSE Inspector, said.

Similarly, a school in Brentwood was fined after a maintenance worker fell 3m to the ground and had to go to hospital with a chipped vertebrae and a broken collarbone. The school was later fined £40,000 and ordered to pay £6,477 in costs.

It’s important that you have emergency response procedures in place in order to deal with situations of this kind appropriately. If you want to go on a GWO working at heights course, call us at HFR Solutions CIC to see how we can help you make your business safer today.

Cookies

This website makes use of cookies to enhance browsing experience and provide additional functionality. Privacy Policy

Allow cookies